title

Foodie In Training

Friday, April 18, 2008

broken promises

hey everyone, sorry about the lack of posts. these past few weeks have been crazy for both of us. I know we promised you 2 posts a week and while we haven't been documenting on the blog, we've still been doing some great cooking. This weekend we'll get caught up. For an update, I have started a new diet program so you will be seeing healthy meals and smaller portions (at least on my plate). So far the diet has been great and I've been successful.

Here is a quick rundown of what I made last night and I overcooked it a little bit, but the flavors were great! I bought a 1/2 lb. of sockeye salmon last night and coated it with a little bit of olive oil. I added about 1 tsp. of lemon zest, dill, 1 tsp. of minced garlic, and salt and pepper. I also put 4 thin slices of lemon with the ingredients, tossed it all together and set the salmon in the foil and put the lemon slices on top. I tightly closed the foil and put it in the oven at 500 degrees for 15 minutes. In retrospect I should have cooked it about 5 minutes less. I was going by a recipe that called for a larger quantity of salmon than I used and the cooking time reflected that, so I should have decreased my cooking time. But it turned out pretty good. I served the salmon over a handful of baby spinach and squeezed fresh lemon juice over the top. Can you tell I'm on a diet? haha. But really, it was a tasty meal that was light and perfect for a warm spring night. You can also do the foil packets on the grill which I will try next time, it was just too dark by the time I got around to eating.

We'll be doing some cooking this weekend, stay tuned for some posts! We won't break our promise this time. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Salmon sounds good. My suggestion is to have a lower temp in the oven. Maybe try 400 for 25 minutes. We did a similar thing on the gill receintly but the grill temp was too high and the bottom got crusty. Still tasted good but lower temp, longer time seems to be the key.
Glad you tried salmon at home though! Check out Giada's recipe too for a tomato based version.
love ya! mom :)