title

Foodie In Training

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pomegranates = Mesmerizing

Last week I bought two pomegranates and now I have a favorite fruit!! I've always loved pomegranate juice (when I can afford it) but had never bought a pomegranate and ate the seeds and used them in recipes.   I think pomegranates are the most beautiful fruit ever.  They are like bright, beautiful little jewels.  I'd almost rather wear them as jewelry then eat them!! 

I was a little nervous to get the seeds out without creating a huge mess or staining myself with the juice.  But I watched a few videos on You Tube and then felt comfortable.  And actually, it's really very easy.  I think they are just intimidating because they are very different than other fruits.  First you cut off the top little stem and then cut a little off the bottom (so it will sit up and not roll over).  Then, score the pomegranate as if your were going to cut it into quarters.  The pomegranates skin is very thin and the inside is just the pith so you easily rip open the pomegranate after it's been scored without breaking a lot of the seeds. 
 To prevent a big mess, fill a large bowl with water and submerge the pomegranate  while separating the seeds from the pith.  The white parts you can't eat will float to the top and the seeds will float to the bottom!! 

We mostly just ate them by the handful, but once, we added them to a salad with sliced fennel, green onion with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  
 

Oh yea, and they are sooo good for you. Filled with vitamins and antioxidants. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you love them! My mom has been peeling those for years...they are a pain but it's worth the effort!! Now she has me peeling them!I have also used them in a salad with lettuce, carrots, purple cabbage,and oranges sliced very small and thin. Made it for Thanksgiving at the Speer's and it was a hit! With my special dressing-of course!