title

Foodie In Training

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Book Review: The Amateur Gourmet

I'm back!! I realize it's been a while since I've actually written a post, but I've definitely been busy in the kitchen helping create the tasty dishes Ryan has blogged about.  
Anyway, a few weeks ago I was couch bound for a weekend and I was able to get some good reading done.  I sat down and read this book in one day, it was a really great, quick read.  The title of this book The Amateur Gourmet (How to Shop, Chop and Table-Hop Like a Pro) might look a little familiar because it's one of the cooking links on the blog.  
Ryan got me this book for my birthday and I finally got around to reading it.  He picked it out because the author, Adam Roberts, developed his love for cooking while he was miserable in law school.  He started his blog a few years ago and journals his experiences in cooking and dining.  The book is a really easy and funny read. With each chapter, Roberts writes about what he thinks are important lessons and helpful tips to becoming comfortable in the kitchen.  Each chapter is laugh-out-loud funny and about a different aspect of cooking, from learning how to master the farmers market, a lesson about knives, and the book ends with him cooking a lavish, 6-course meal for his family.   There are also some really great recipes!  I definitely recommend this book for anyone, but especially the amateur gourmet or foodie in training, because it calms a lot of anxiety that comes with being a newbie in the kitchen. 

I also recommend checking out his blog, it is definitely one of my favorites!

Happy cooking. :)


No comments: