title

Foodie In Training

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chili

It's not very cold yet in Cincinnati (much to my anger and dismay) but I've decided to get in to the fall spirit anyway and make chili this week.
I doubt I have any readers yet, but I'm looking for a good recipe. I've never made it before. I have a recipe for black bean lime chili, but it is a healthy, modified version that is served over couscous, so it doesn't really count. I'm talking chunky, full of beans and spices chili.
Maybe if I make chili, the cold weather will arrive...kind of like "if you make it, they will come" theory. I can only hope!

So, if you have a good chili recipe, send it my way, I'd love to try it out.

Oh yea, here is a recipe for the black bean lime chili...It's from the Food Network web site. I'm just going to copy it below. For some reason, providing a link is not working.

Black Bean Lime Chili
Recipe courtesy Juan-Carlos Cruz
Show: Weighing In
Episode: Tour Guides
1 cup water
2/3 cup couscous
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 (14-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can black beans
1 (10-ounce) can white meat chicken, or 2 cups shredded chicken, store-bought, skin discarded
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan and then pour in the couscous in one steady stream. Stir to prevent lumps. Turn off the heat, cover, and set aside for 15 minutes. Once liquid is absorbed, fluff with a fork.

In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add bell peppers and chili powder and cook for another minute. Stir in tomatoes and black beans and their liquid; bring all to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and heat through. Stir in lime juice and cilantro and remove from heat. Serve over fluffed couscous.

No comments: