title

Foodie In Training

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Red Sauce

I thought I'd elaborate on my sauce I made with my ravioli's because it is so quick and easy. Here's what you'll need:
can of diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, diced (the more the better in my opinion)
red onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
any herbs you have on hand, fresh is always best but dry is good too.
I like to use basil, crushed red pepper and sometimes parsley flakes.
Depending on what I have in my kitchen, I'll often add a special ingredient like capers or sun-dried tomatoes.

Add a little bit of olive oil to a large saute pan and saute the onions. Add salt while your onions are cooking, it brings out the flavor of the onions. Once onions are soft add the garlic and then add the diced tomatoes. Let that cook for a few minutes together and then add the herbs. That's pretty much it. The simpler the better. If you want to thicken the sauce you can always add tomato paste, but remember a little bit goes a long way.
Always remember to taste your sauce as you go along and add things sparingly at first, you can always add more but you can never take spices out.

Tonight I'm making Tortilla Chicken Soup with the girls and watching Grey's Anatomy, I'll report back on how the soup tastes.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

that sounds like a wonderful sauce, how'd you come up with it?!

Cookie~mom said...

You might want to give a plug to the whole wheat ravioli company.

Hey, and consider posting your method of making that wonderful bread that you and Ryan do. the one you split open and add olive oil etc.

Nice blog Erin!